Wednesday 22 July 2009

Comic Books In Chester, UK

Comic Books in Chester: Either Brand New or Back-Issues

Whenever I arrive at a new town or city, one of the first things I must find is a local source of comic books and graphic novels. As a fan, a comic shop in Chester is an important find, whether it’s a weekly visit or monthly perusal that you are after.

Finding a store is not always an easy thing. In a number of locations are grand stores such as Forbidden Planet, which may be fine if you do not mind a short journey, as the nearest one to Chester is in Liverpool.

But what about a site on my doorstep?


I mean a proper, local neighbourhood comic-shop, run by a friendly face. Larger sites may offer countless numbers of comics, toys and games, graphic novels, even shirts and models, but sometimes the pride and passion can be missing, becoming more of a toy store with comics, or bookstore with a graphic novel section.

A WHSmith or Waterstones is fine to pop in for a quick purchase, but comics and collecting often requires keeping up to date weekly, Thursday or Saturday visits are often a must, and as a fan, waiting a month or two for bookshelves to have the latest must-have collection is just not good enough.

And floppies, the weekly comics that keep the wheels of the comic book business turning are less and less easily found anywhere other than in a dedicated comic shop.

As with many hobbies, part of the fun is having others to share your passions with, to discuss who’s better or best or what you think about the direction of a certain storyline, and comic stores run by fans are great little bolt-holes to browse, search through, or just chat.


So I began with an online rummage for my Chester comic book seller, and came across Silver Acre Comics, who have an excellent website with a great amount of products. They use a Chester PO Box, so that counts as local to me!

But you can’t hang around chat about heroes to the salesman over the Internet, and that was the point of my finding a Chester comic shop.
I want an independent bricks and mortar site, my own, personal, LCS. I want to build a pull list, stock up my longbox, find those little comic books that you find by searching and thumbing, not by pointing and clicking.

I want a Chester comic company. And I found one. The Chester Comic Company. Of course, and right in the city centre, too:


Chester Comic Co.
73 Brook St.
Chester
Cheshire
CH1 3DX

01244 344050‎


Yes!

Chester Comic Company is a little local comic shop stocking DC, Marvel, Image and all the independents.

They also stock (the now pre-requisite!) action figures and collectables, t-shirts, models and games.


Right on the doorstep, I can take my shopping list down there and start adding to my collection straight away.

I’ll be keeping my eye on the Chester Comic Company website, and report back on any news I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment